Tuesday 19 July 2011

Artists Who Inspire Me... Part I

All of these artists pretty much speak for themselves but I've added some commentary on why I appreciate them so much.  

1. Alex Ross
A master at watercolour who I appreciate for depicting through his art, the humane quality to superheroes that we rarely ever see. I don't think anyone can mimic the watercolour mastery that Alex Ross has.


2. Zhao Ming Wu
What can I say, he sees colour where others don't. His paintings and charcoal pieces are absolutely beautiful to look at. He creates a perfect balance between exaggeration (through colour) and realism.

3. Frank Frazetta
I regret to say that I've only come to appreciate just how amazing and influential Frazetta really is. His plays on lights and darks are amazing the way they bring your eyes to the attention he wants to draw you to. His colouring combined with his strong anatomy easily crowns him as a master of our time. 

4. Juanjo Guarnido
Another master at watercolour. His paintings are beautiful, yes, but what really draws my attention to his work is how his characters are given another dimension to them by attributing animals with anthropomorphic qualities and vice versa. I love how you can immediately identify a character just by looking at them. 

5. Kekai Kotaki
Granted that sometimes he leaves his pieces a little..'raw,' I still love kekai's character designs and use of colour. He is one of the main reasons why I want to go into conceptual art for entertainment design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment